Tuesday 22 March 2011

Drimnagh canal

My parents have been staying with me this weekend, so on Sunday morning I walked them down to Mourne Road church for mass whilst I went for a walk along the canal. It was a beautiful morning, the sun was splitting the sky and I wished I hadn't brought my jacket.
Someone had mentioned that they'd seen a Swallow at the Suir Rd luas stop during the week. I wasn't too sure you'd see one in Drimnagh this early, but I kept my eyes peeled anyway whilst I walked in that direction.
Low, fast, darting Starlings and a Grey Wagtail in flight were as close as I could get to a Swallow in flight. I crossed the bridge and walked up the other side past a garda on a bike near Emmet Court (very sad).
Mallards, Mute Swans and Moorhens swam lazily along the canal water. Black headed gulls, Feral Pigeons, Hooded Crows and Jackdaws kept watch from the sides.
I heard Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Blue Tits and a Coal Tit and  Mistle Thrush along the walk but didn't see any Cormorants or Little Grebes which I sometimes see.
I walked on as far as Lock 5 up past Blackhorse to a building I know Swallows nest and roost in. I stayed watching for about 10 mins but didn't see anything except a Feral pigeon appear at the derelict window.
Walking back home I still kept my eyes peeled, but didn't see anything Swallow like. I'm not sure how likely it is to see a Swallow in Drimnagh when there's hardly any sightings yet north of Cork....but once someone says they've seen one, well, then I want to see one.
Plus, it was nice to get a walk in on such a sunny day before a drive up to Louth for the parents to meet the parents!