Thursday 15 December 2011

UCD Total for 2011 = 50 different Bird Species

Ho ho ho.
Just tried to update one of the links in my Irish Birding Links section and deleted the lot by accident.
Ho ho ho.
will update all soon.....

Whilst I'm here, only 5 days left at work and I'm not sure I'll get to see any new species, so I think its safe to say that my Species count for UCD in 2011 is a very round numbered 50.

List of 'Common as muck and easily seen' over an hours walk around UCD campus (via Main Lake, Vets woods and Rosemount woods) - 22 Species
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Hooded crow
Pied wagtail
Blue tit
Great tit
Coal tit
Long tailed tit
Blackbird
Robin
Wren
Chaffinch
Wood pigeon
Moorhen
Black headed gull
Mallard
Mute swan
Tufted duck
Herring gull
Redwings (Jan - March)
Swallows (May - September)

Common, but not as common as muck - 9 Species
Bullfinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Goldcrest
Dunnock
House martin (June - August)
Swift (May - August)
Feral pigeon (they live on the roof of the arts block)
Mistle thrush


Cool little sighting around UCD, randomly seen during a walk - 8 Species
Grey heron
Grey wagtail
Blackcap
Starlings
Lesser black backed gull (summer)
Song thrush
Collared dove
Chiffchaff (May - July)

Rare in UCD - 6 Species
House sparrow - yes that's what I said, House Sparrow (seen once in the whole year)
Siskin - again, seen once in the whole year.
Oystercatcher - seen a few times in flock feeding on footie fields in really bad rainy weather (Nov/ Dec)
Linnets - seen in big flock handful of times in year
Teal (Jan - Feb) 
Lesser redpoll - seen once, but probably around a lot more than noticed

Rare in UCD - sight for sore eyes - 4 Species
Kingfisher - seen twice in year
Water rail - seen a couple of times (January)
Little egret - seen once flying by my office window
Mediterranean gull - seen twice in July


So there you go.

The Treecreeper eluded me, as did Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Willow warbler, Brambling and Stock dove which are all around campus but I failed to see.
Oh well.

Here's my favourite photo this year from UCD.

I know its a mortal sin to have sticks going across yer bird photos - especially the face! but something about the state of this little Great tit chick thats ticks boxes for me.