Friday 19 November 2010

Bearded Reedling, Tacumshin

Sometimes you have to live your birding through other people.
The last few weeks I've been a bit jealous of people who've had the time to drive down to Tacumshin.

I'm not usually one to drive cross country to see specifc birds, but I guess there's some birds which we'd all like to see - why we'd like to see some more than others, who knows - but I'd love to see a Bearded Reedling.

So, until I see the bird for myself, Eric has emailed me 3 great images of the Bearded Reedlings from Tacumshin which he took this week (I'm assuming with John Fox who also got some great shots).

I love the first one of the female and male the best. He really looks like he's in the doghouse with her and is all apologetic and she's doing the huffy 'oh god, you're such an idiot' with him, whilst he's muttering 'I'm sorry luv' - that's how it looks to me - and that sad moustachial stripe just adds to his mournful look. You might see it differently (probably).
The colours of the birds themselves are beautiful and I love the vivid green of the contrasting moss on the grey rock.


Enjoy - thanks to Eric for the images.

©Eric Dempsey 2010 - Bearded Reedlings, Tacumshin Lake, Wexford

©Eric Dempsey 2010 - Bearded Reedling, Tacumshin Lake, Wexford

©Eric Dempsey 2010 - Bearded Reedlings, Tacumshin Lake, Wexford