Wednesday 28 November 2012

40 WAXWINGS, COOLEY ROAD, DRIMNAGH!


40 Waxwings - Cooley Road, Drimnagh, Dublin 12!

Cycling to work this morning I heard a Mistle thrush going completely berserk in a tree to my right.

Looked up and saw a flock of around 40 birds lift from the top of the same tree I saw Fieldfares and Redwings in a couple of years ago (the tree is in the staff car park of the Children's hospital).

I cycled over into the car park, stopped at the barrier to get a better look - the flock of birds were WAXWINGS!
The Scandi/ Russian birds have made it to Cooley Road, so cool.
These birds have likely flown all the way from Denmark/ Norway/ Sweden/ Finland/ Russia to get these Dublin berries.The Waxwings were calling too - a real treat of sight and sound.


8.15am, Nov 28th 2012, 40 Waxwings, Children's hospital staff carpark, Cooley Road, Drimnagh

5 mins was all I had, great way to start the morning.